WISH ME LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!Last attempt at hatching for this year

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wyogirl, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Set 25 shipped Silkie eggs last night. Am not turning them for 3 days, some had detached air cells (now I know what they look like)[​IMG], some looked like they had already started to grow so instead of letting them sit out for 24 put them in my new Brinsea Octagan with 5 thermometers: 2 of which have humidity readings, 1 egg o meter, and 2 mercury thermometers. Am going to try to keep humidity betweeen 25-40, T 99-100, maybe I will have better luck this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I am not going anywhere for the next 21 days, have instructed my DH on how to read all thermometers and to call me at work with readings!!! He's happy this is my last hatch as he was slightly worried about me:eek:
    Ayda

2. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Good luck! I just set 24 silkie eggs myself last Sunday. (also received my mail and several with detached air cells) [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Where did your Silkies come from?? Mine are the Riverside Silkies off ebay from New York, the others from Florida all the way to WY LOL . Currently only have one Silkie and she/he is adorable, 2 Lav Orps and 36 assorted laying hens, 4 Turkeys and my poor DH says STOP!!!!
    Ayda
    Keep posting as I would love to see how your shipped eggs turned out, I have had very poor hatch rates but of course am new at this game.

4. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I got mine from CJs Silkies. They were packaged very well, no breaks, but they took 4 days in the mail and the box was pretty banged up. This is my very first time incubating. I have guineas, but these will be my first chickens. My DH already feels like they're starting to take over! [​IMG]

You should have good luck with the Brinsea. I've read great things about it. I'm using an LG with a pc fan, and an egg turner. I haven't been able to see much in the little bit of candling I've done, but I'll be candling again tonight or tomorrow hoping to see something. I plan to post more pictures then and will continue to update on the progress.
    Here are my pictures so far:
    http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/shaynablizard/Hatching Silkies/

5. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    What do you mean by detached air cells? What do they look like? I set some silkies last month and had 0 hatch rate. Is this something that can cause that? I also am very new to the hatching. And my HB also says enough but I am so hooked. I love watching them come into the world.
    Rita

6. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:At the large end of the egg there's an air sac you can see when you candle it. That should stay in place so the chick can pip into it before it hatches. If it's detached, that bubble will roll around the egg when you move it. It's only visible when candling. It usually happens from rough shipping and sometimes I've heard it can reattach if the eggs are left to settle for a day or so before incubating and rotating. I let mine settle for 24 hours, then I put in incubator and waited another 2 days to turn the turner on. I'm not sure if those air cells will reattach or not. Just hoping for the best. This is my first incubation.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wish I could candle, I have an oval egg (can't determine pointy end) in this tray I set yesterday. Just too dark.
    [​IMG]

Wish me luck.

8. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Good luck to you! I have one brown egg that's suppose to be to a white silkie chick, and I can't see through that darn shell for anything!

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm.... true Silkies lay a cream or tinted egg. Hopefully the brown eggshell is just a sport.

I set 10 Ameraucana eggs (shipped) and a bunch of eggs from my own hens, plus 5 Pharoah quail eggs from a friend, on Thursday. Here's hoping we all have terrific hatches!

10. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:They are a very light brown.... The person I bought them from has a beautiful assortment of silkies. Here's a picture of my eggs, although the flash makes them appear a little lighter than they really are:
    [​IMG]

Not sure why I can't see into the egg marked with a "W" (white silkie I think)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by