Wish me luck....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddler6, Jan 1, 2008.

1. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    O.K., my test hatch is in the incubator. I have pulled some eggs over the last few days, trying to get them indoors as soon as I can to make sure they don't get too cold. Started the bator up at 7:00 AM fiddled with the temp and humidity, put the eggs in, and away they go. One thing that made sense to me to do, was I had some scraps of 3/4 inch blue insulation sheeting board that I cut just a little larger than the thin plastic windows to help insulate it better, seemed to cut down on the amount of time that the element was on. I just set them on top of the windows so when I want to peek I can just pick them up off. 18 to 20 days can't come soon enough. A friend at work is suppose to give me a few more eggs this week too, but we'll see if that happens. So much for waiting until spring.

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    [​IMG] ok wana see those chicks when they hatch.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i dont think it will really help any .it was made to work like it is.

4. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    [​IMG] any insulation will help . but ya better make sure the temp stays in range

5. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Temp is doing pretty well, but the humidity keeps dropping for some reason. Maybe because the element keeps running, but there is still plenty of water in there.

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    good luck with hatch and good luck with the sickness in the future

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    good luck hatching, [​IMG]

8. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    oops

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  9. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Maybe you all could give me some advice on controlling Humidity. At first it was low 30% or less. I covered a small hole above the fan (center of the lid) and it went up to 60%, is that good? I hope so it has been at 60% for the past 24 hours.

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    60% is too high at this point in your hatch. Not horribly too high, but a little too high. Unplug your hole again and see what it does. maybe put tape over half the hole or something. 40-50% range is about right. However I've read books that say 50-55% is where it should be. How accurate is your hygrometer? That's the important question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by