Wish me luck.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Uzuri, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Tonight's the night. Going to go out to some folks who do this all the time and they're going to teach me how it's done and help finish them up in a sensible amount of time. 14 dual-purpose (mostly roosters) and 1 adult cull. The cull's going to be the hard one, but she's evil and hurts my other hens, so it has to be done.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Uzuri-

Good luck with that....I want to learn how to do that too. My husband thinks I couldn't handle it, but I think I could......Hey, if you can, share your experience with us all and let us know how it went.....

3. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Good luck

4. Maihlet

Maihlet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    The "Evil Cull". LOL! I liked that.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Anticipation is always the worst part. Once you do it, it isn't that bad. Good luck.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:My BF thought the same thing. You can do it. I just made a deal with him you cut, I gut and it works out well. I'm getting faster with everyone. I just wish I could do the cut. Maybe if I get a few drinky-drinky in me I will be able to do it. LOL

7. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    Good luck! I found that when you think about it, it's much worse than if you just disconnect yourself enough to do the job quickly. It's not a fun job and nobody enjoys killing (although I enjoy gutting from a biological aspect) but it's necessary. I took a few test swings with my ax on the empty stump so I was sure I could get enough momentum and not hesitate. I swung so hard on the first chicken I went thru to the wood and in about 1/4"! Cut that head straight off.

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Well I did it! Including a kill and processing.

We were working with folks who really knew what they were doing and they were so fast! I thought it important to kill my hen (the evil one), since I needed to know that I was capable of culling. I was. I won't lie, my hands shook... but they shook after I was done.

The whole process is fascinating. Seeing all the yolks in the hen was amazing.

And Mom's astonished because I actually touched raw chicken XD

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    awesome! great job!!!

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Yay for you! I'm glad you had a positive experience, and really glad you had some experienced folks to show you the procedure. That's how I learned, and I'm always willing to pay it forward and show others. Plus, I've learned things to do with each session that makes it go easier and faster for the next one.

And you know, I never liked handling raw chicken from the store, it has a repulsive slimy feel to me. Cheapskate that I am, I would even pay more for cut-up chicken rather than have to cut up a whole one. I was very pleasantly surprised to find how much nicer my home-grown chickens are to handle, both while plucking & cleaning, as well as while cutting up for cooking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by