Wish me luck

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScottM, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

I know it's best to quarantine & segregate before combining flocks, but I'm just going to throw them in and hope for the best. Wish me luck.

I have 6 existing 1yo hens (rir and ameraucana) in 45sqft coop, 100sqft run. Plenty of roosting space, 3 nest boxes. The 2 new birds are buff orpingtons, have been free ranging, and are super hardy/healthy 10mo olds.

I just now put them on the roost with the others and not a peep from anybody. So far, so good. Its quite dark already here in northern British Columbia, they should be sleeping soon.

Tomorrow ill provide extra treats(scratch, extra fodder, lettuce, & mealworms, gawd my girls are spoiled) and will segregate if blood is spilled, cause that can only get worse.

So . . . Wish me luck ( feel free to call me reckless)

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Good Luck. Hope all goes well!

3. ScottM

Just checked on them early this am, tossed in some kitchen scraps, maybe more chatter than usual, but no probs so far.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    they should be good if they are the same size, and wake up together. The new girls may hang apart for a while.

5. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    I took in four chickens last week and waited til night to add the new girls. I also left the heat lamp off that night as well and everyone seems to be doing just fine almost a week. I am also awaiting those four to lay eggs as well, three are going to be year old and the other was about two years old they told me.

6. ScottM

Evidence of a few feathers that have been taken out, but on the positive one layed an egg in the nest box, and i oversaw them rub shoulders with a few of the others.

7. soot87

soot87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    We just did the same thing. Our flock was only with us for a week so I'm not too worried. We bought a 1 yr old buff as well and a production red. They are actually bigger than our first birds so hopefully all goes well. They picked on our leghorn a bit but we're doing ok. Keep you guys posted. Let me know how things go for you.

8. ScottM

While they still stick to their own somewhat, I'd call this integration a success

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by