Wish me success!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BenHogan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BenHogan

BenHogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    So I got rid of all my chickens in anticipation of a move in the near future. What I did NOT count on was my two youngest being all bummed because they went out to the pasture and there were no chickens! [​IMG] So off to Craigslist to find someone with hatching eggs. I hit on a local breeder with some very nice Black Breasted Red Pheonix with some impressive tails on his 8 month old roos. He had 19 eggs for sale so those along with 3 Partridge Cochin eggs he also had in his collection of hatching eggs are going into my bator tonight or tomorrow morning. That outta fix the little guys sadness over losing their chickens. Never mind they had gotten tired of their pet rooster flogging them and that was why they agreed so willingly to me sending the rascal away. [​IMG]

Here's to hoping for a good hatch in the middle of February! [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So are you not going to be moving then, or have you just figured out a way to make the move work with the new birds that you'll be hatching?

Good luck on the hatch!

3. BenHogan

Jan 22, 2015
    Oh we are still moving. I made the decision to dump all the birds we had to lighten the load of chores my boys had as I have been spending a lot of time on the road in scouting out the proposed area for relocating. And the birds had pretty much bottomed out in their laying so it was getting annoying feeding 30+ birds with few eggs in return. I figure it will be easier and cheaper to relocate a handful of fairly young birds vs. and entire flock of mature laying hens. And it gives the little boys something fun to do in the meantime.

When we have a place lined up for the move, I plan to start my new flock with a focus on developing a line of good dual purpose birds.

Apparently I cannot take a break from owning chickens! [​IMG]I tried. My resolve lasted a week and a half. [​IMG]

4. BenHogan

Jan 22, 2015
    And the first little Pheonix broke out of his shell a day early

5. BenHogan

Jan 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. BenHogan

Jan 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Watching them hatch never gets old for the little guys

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Never gets old for the old ladies either.

8. BenHogan

Jan 22, 2015
    I kept going over to check on them myself. Love watching them break out of their shells!

9. BenHogan

Jan 22, 2015
    Woke this morning to 10 hatched and at least 2 more pipped! [​IMG]

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG] - outstanding update!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by