Wishy washy whites

milldew chicks

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
“My chickens egg whites are very white, but when cooking they're mushy, soft, no substance. What's wrong? Any advise will be gratefully received. ”

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. What kind of hens do you have and how old are they? This particular problem happens sometimes in older hens, and Red Sex Links seem to be especially prone to this problem by the time they reach their third year. How often do you give your hens treats, and what kind of treats do you give them. Treats should make up less than 10% of their diet as commercial feeds have been specially formulated to meet their dietary needs. Also, I have read that this kind of problem with egg whites can be caused by an insufficient intake of protein. You might try increasing the amount of protein in their diet and see if that will correct the problem. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in correcting the poor consistency of those egg whites.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I agree with Michael here. Sounds like something is wrong with the diet. Make sure to keep them on a good diet, treats should consist of no more than 10% of the diet.

A health issue could also cause poor quality eggs. There are a few virus's out there that can cause egg shell issues and no doubt effect the internal parts of the egg.

Of course make sure the hens are not being stressed. Stress can cause all kinds of issues with eggs and other parts of their lives.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I also agree it has to do with their diet. Treats should only take up 10% of their daily diet. Make sure they have lots of calcium, layer feed and water.

you've received very good advice from those responding ahead of me, so I will just say
Welcome to BYC, glad you joined the flock
D.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. What kind of hens do you have and how old are they?  This particular problem happens sometimes in older hens, and Red Sex Links seem to be especially prone to this problem by the time they reach their third year.  How often do you give your hens treats, and what kind of treats do you give them.  Treats should make up less than 10% of their diet as commercial feeds have been specially formulated to meet their dietary needs.  Also, I have read that this kind of problem with egg whites can be caused by an insufficient intake of protein.  You might try increasing the amount of protein in their diet and see if that will correct the problem.  Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in correcting the poor consistency of those egg whites.

Back
Top Bottom