With 6 days left could i move eggs from incubator to under a hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dsljim, Apr 12, 2012.

1. dsljim

dsljim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Has anyone done this with success? I've had terrible luck with this incubator and wondering if this is at all possible? Thank You!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Do you have a broody hen right now?

3. dsljim

dsljim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    I've got a few that scold me when I collect the eggs. Next question, how many eggs is normal for Rhode island reds to set on?

4. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I just did that because I had a hen go broody and I wanted her to be able to be a momma. It was day 17 when I gave her the eggs she has a pip and peeping in one of the eggs not sure about the other. I only gave her two because she is very small (bantam cochin) also she is a first time broody. So far so good. You do need a broody though. I would leave eggs in the coop and see if the suspect stays on them for a day or two first to make sure....then watch carfully so you ca put back in bator if she doesn't.

5. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    As for the number of eggs I gave my silkie 5 large eggs and it was no problem. For a RIR I would think she could sit on maybe a dozen without a problem. My silkie was pretty small I thought maybe only 4 then she took 3 of my other eggs so she was sitting on 7 I had to take them away because they were not fertile and gave her one more of my fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by