With a little help from my friends - New Coop Under Construction!

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
BYC folks are the bestest! I have some friends involved in building a new, 8 x 8 coop for the Olmstead Homestead flock. I buy materials, Morgan7782 transports the big stuff in her pick-up, and Farmer Lew designed and is constructing the coop. HHandbasket cheers us on.

Morgan7782 has most of the photos taken of all the feathered observers, and I'll ask her to plunk some of the best shots into this thread, but every construction job begins at the beginning:
41679_diggingposthole.jpg

The ground is full of stuff, which requires closer work.
41679_removingrocks-chickensbusy.jpg

Notice the group of chickens also working on their own project behind Farmer Lew.

This coop will be two feet off the ground, with stairs up to the people door. Summers are miserably hot here, so the space beneath it will be shade for chickens. We'll have a window on each side, not directly opposite each other. The roof will be gabled, with corrugated panel roofing material. I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

I'll update this thread as the project continues.

I am just transporting! Farmer Lew is the builder/contractor
big_smile.png
I have the pickup for getting materials hehe. I will be uploading pictures early tomorrow morning!!!!

Next day for the Master Builder to do work on it is this Thursday. I am nearly vibrating with excitement, waiting to see what is accomplished while I am at work on Thursday!!!

Quote:
Not only did Farmer Lew get a lot of supervision, he was used as sanctuary by one young chicken!

She ran right between his legs as he was crouched down, to huddle there and watch the older girls at the base of the butterfly bush.
41679_sanctuary.jpg

We were startled by this sudden dash.
41679_canyouseethis.jpg

Safe!
41679_hiding.jpg

Unique view of a fluffy butt.
41679_hidingwell.jpg

Said chicken.
41679_holdingchicken.jpg

(Thanks to Morgan7782 for the photos.)

Last edited:

Back