With B-day $$ in hand-I am off to buy supplies to build 1st incubator!

DouglasPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
I am going today to get all supplies to build my first incubator! What I really mean is I am going to buy the supplies, but DH is going to build it. I am sure I will help, at least a little!

I have incubated eggs once in a LG without a fan and turner. I am just not able to spend the $$$ on buying an incubator with all the "extras" and haven't found a used one in my price range. So, with my birthday money in hand, I am off to buy and make my own!

I appreciate all of the information members have provided on the "step by step" process of building an incubator! Thank you!

celebrate.gif

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't include that.

Shopping List
1 hot water heater thermostat
1 lamp kit (bottle version)
25w light bulb
alum. pan - rectangle
sponges
water wiggler

Supplies I have
plexiglass
cooler
adaptor
pc fan
hardware cloth
pvc pipe

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. I made a list and have checked it twice!
wink.png

Last edited:
My only advice I have is to make sure your thermostat goes down to 90 degrees.

Also fan, light an thermostat placement is key when using a water heater thermostat. You wont the fan aimed strait at the light with the thermostat on the other side. So the heat of the light is blown on to (the flat side of) the thermostat. That way you don't get big temp fluctuations.

What about one of those brass wheel wafer thermostat switches instead on a hot water heater switch? Has anyone used on of those?? What can you use instead of a pc fan?

Quote:
Actually I had in my notes that the thermostat should read temps 90-150.

Great advice on the light, fan, and thermostat. I noticed in others' notes that the placement of those was important.

Thanks!

Quote:
I will certainly test is out for a few days to see how it is holding the temperature. I am wondering if the tupperware is not a good conductor of heat and that is why a higher bulb wattage is needed? hmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom