With ducklings, How much Greens is too much Greens?

Ahab

Songster
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Maine
I've got week-old Anconas in the brooder house, with free-choice 18% protein chick starter available all the time. Per recommendations in Holderread's Raising Ducks, I'm feeding them chopped "dandelion greens . . . several times a day in a quantity that will be cleaned up in approximately 1 hour." Basically, twice a day I fill an egg carton with chopped greens sprinkled with a little chick grit, and it doesn't last 10 minutes. I get the impression they'd prefer to eat chopped dandelion greens 24/7 and might condescend to eat a nibble of chick starter now and then. Which by my calculations puts their protein requirements out of whack.

So how much chopped greenstuff do folks typically feed week-olds? They can't go outside and decide for themselves yet; we're getting one of those week-long 45-degree coastal rain-and-wind events that come along now and then in May to discourage excess human population along the Maine Coast, and the ducklings are still a few weeks shy of coping with that, judging from their feather development.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know I can't imagine greens lasting a whole hour in the brooder. I think the amount you are giving them is about right. In the next couple of weeks you can increase the frequency a bit.

Between 14 ducklings and 4 goslings (3 to4 weeks old) last night I took out 1 large lettuce, 5 cellery sticks a small bag of peas and 1/2 bag of mixed veg and half a melon. It lasted all of 2 minutes MAX. Celery sticks were last to be eaten but they would of chomped on them for a while. If we were to feed babies enough greens to last an hour we would all be BROKE and in the poor house
lol.png

Fortunately, I have an inexhaustible supply of dandelions. Though with all the chopping, I'm beginning to feel like a contestant on Top Chef.

I buy 7 bags of frozen peas a week (they are only $1 at stopnshop). The ducklings (we've got 10) get one bag of peas a day, I give them half in the morning and the other half at night. In between that, they get dandelions and bits of grass as the family gathers it and gives it to them.

Back
Top Bottom