With fan or without fan

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebel yell, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Do you hatch with your fan running in the bator or with out it running, (hovabator)
    Witch do y'all think is best & why ?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    With fan on all the time .Your goal is air movement without a hurricane.Without a fan the bottem will be cooler and the top with be hotter .With fan it keeps it stired up and your temps. will be very close to the same or the same at all points.Sometimes fan placement can be (lets say trying).And remenber the fan moter will put out some heat too...cva34

3. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I have tried running the fan at a slower speed & it does not matter the humidity will not get to where I want it without filling up three of the chanles in the liner & also have had chicks be way to dry at hatching time I turned the fan off the humidity went up to where I wanted it & got the temp. back on track, I am only running it this way on the last 3 days, I think the fan is drying out the humidity.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Humidity control has never been an issue for me.. I just increase the surface area with paper towels or sponges. But what works for me may not work for you with your incubator.

There have been a lot of people who have shrink wrapped chicks who also have incubators with a fan on during hatch. I think the air flow may dry out a chick with a large pip faster than it should. .. just an observation but it is something I have noticed

Sounds to me like you have the right idea of turning off the fan for those last three days.. it's a shame.. but too many incubators don't allow for that option.. so I say if it works for you to turn it off.. then go for it!

5. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Well my hatcher is a 1602n hovabator with a PC fan turning the same rpm as the gqf fan & in the same pos. & it does not do good on hatching with it on so Im going to try it with it off, I think it will work better, we'll see I will keep ya'll posted Sat. is day 21, but keep input comming.

6. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    to get the humidity up you can cover the top vent holes

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

during hatch it's recommended to have the vents open

8. Buiscuit

Buiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Alabama, And I hate it !
    Quit freaking out. Keep the humidity up and the fan on. If it 70-80% humidity it will be fine with or with out the fan it just needs to stay good and toasty for the chicks.

9. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    No body is freaking out ! I asked a qustion, this is not my first hatch, just trying to see what will work best, I have never hatched with my fan off but they are going in the hatcher today & the humidity is holding good at about 70%, Thank you.

10. Buiscuit

Buiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Alabama, And I hate it !

I didnt mean it in a bad way, sorry if it sounded that way, I honestly havent hatched any without the fan on. But I assume it is fine either way. I have a friend that uses a still air and a forced air incubators and has great luck with both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by