With Homemade Incubators...question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSpringChick, May 13, 2008.

1. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I have a quarter inch hardware cloth on the bottom of my homemade incubator...my question is when I put the eggs in, do I just lay them on the harware cloth or do I have to set them in something so that the pointy end is down....If so, what do you all use to put them in?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I just put mine in on their sides. You can do egg cartons (most seem to prefer the paper-pulp type over styrafoam) with the small end down. Some lay them on their sides but put dowm that foam-like shelf lining... the no-skid kinda stuff.

Here's mine.... so far, so good.

[​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The baby toes are so small that they get caught in the hardware cloth... the non-skid rubber lining is great for them to walk on after they hatch. Also helps with the cleanup, which is a plus! [​IMG] I put the liner down, and I don't think I'll ever go back to just wire.

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I had read somewhere that you could put down cheesecloth... though, I think I might try the shelf liner thing.... but obviously I don't need it just yet [​IMG] Am thinking of putting it in Sat when I stop turning the eggs and making sure all are tilted the right way for the hatch. [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Them thar's a lot of purty eggs, there, Missy! [​IMG]

Whatcha got in there, besides some Ameraucanas?

6. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Now that is a pretty picture.....thanks for sharing....I wasn't sure if putting the shelf liner in on day one would prevent the air from circulating or not. I think I'll wait until Day 18 to put the shelf liner in....Perhaps I'm overthinking things.

I will have that many eggs in a few days...Oh Gosh I CAN'T WAIT!!!

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    EE's, 2 Self Blue D'uccles left (I don't know if they are gonna make it [​IMG] ) Some mixed breeds (possible pure) I got from Julie along with the D'uccles and a bunch of true mutts I got from my son's friend. I'm hoping the nice big brown ones hatch hens [​IMG] And I'd be happy if the nice blue ones hatch hens and maybe one roo [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by