With Japanese quails, inbreeding.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AuQuail, Apr 4, 2017.

1. AuQuail

AuQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    What's the best way to continue breeding the next generation?

I have two cages, each with 6 hens and 1 roo

Last batch I put in 76 eggs, 4 were clear (infertile)

This time I have marked and separated eggs /chicks from the two cages (daddy)

Is it necessary to. Do this so that you don't in breed?
    Cos. It's quick a bit of work.... If it's ok to in breed..

It will. Be a whole lot. Easier!

What's the general rule / best practice.

Thanks.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    In general I think most people are mixing chicks from different breeding groups. Breeding half siblings to each other should be okay for several generations, but eventually you should start to notice a drop in fertility and hatchability - by then it's time to bring in new bloodlines. If you breed full siblings to each other, you should start to notice this after about 3 generations, with half siblings it should take several generations longer. There is an increased risk of genetic defects in the chicks the more generations you inbreed, but if you see a lot of curled toes, splayed legs and unhatched chicks, it could also be caused by incubator issues.
    By separating the chicks you can make sure the roo in all breeding groups is as distantly related to the hens as possible and so it will be even more generations before you need to bring in new blood, so it's not all in vain but not strictly necessary either.

3. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
  4. AuQuail

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks for the replies.

My 12 breeding hens are from same blood line, but the 2 male are from another bloodline and not brothers.

With the hens all related and dad not is that half siblings u are referring to Dk?

I ll have a look at the link provided by geniash.

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, technically speaking half siblings would be offspring from the same father and different mothers. The more closely related the mothers are, the less genetic variation you have to begin with and the faster you are likely to see a drop in fertility, but other than that it doesn't matter much.

6. AuQuail

Jan 2, 2017
    Then I guess the way I have it.. Cage 1 chicks will breed with cage 2... Male or female from each of the 2 cages.

As I have two different non related fathers.

Should be sweet then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by