With new chicks, when do hens start laying again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marenategoodman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. marenategoodman

marenategoodman New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    I have 2 buff orphingtons. 1 went broody and hatched three chicks. As soon as the one hen went broody, the other stopped laying. They each layed one a day for about a year. Right around the same time as the hen went broody we got two new chicks from the farm store. They have a couple more months before they start laying. So now I have seven, and none laying. How can I get my buff's to start laying again? They also hoard the chick start from the younger hens. They don't really eat the pellets, they eat the chick start. Help!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Each of my hens have started laying again about a week after they kick their chicks loose. When they kick them loose depends on the individual hen. My SF named Doe always kicks hers loose at around 4 weeks old. Jethro, a silkie, is still caring for her 3 chicks that are 7 weeks old today as if they were newly hatched.

The simplest solution I've found for feeding different age groups is to feed everyone one food, a flockraiser, and just offer laying hens oyster shell on the side for their laying needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by