With respiratory indications, is it wise to go straight to antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KittieChick, Jan 16, 2015.

1. KittieChick

KittieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC
    Reason I'm asking is that my 7 month rooster just yesterday started with one eye with bubbles. I got some VetRX down his throat today. He's very active, eating, crowing, running around with his ladies.

Nobody else is showing any symptoms of anything. Is wait and see a good plan, or should I be panicking early?

I use pine shavings in the coop as deep litter. I have 6 birds with approximately 1'/sq of ventilation per bird (probably a bit more). My windows are closed for the winter, but my coop isn't insulated. It never smells, or feels moist inside. The pen is shaded and I've noticed it doesn't dry out fast, and even though half is roofed, it's still moist on the ground.

We're going to enlarge the pen and roof the rest of the 7.5' x 13' that we currently have. My birds range every afternoon from about 12 - 4. I feed FF, currently oats and a mix of pelleted/grain food.

They get a handful of scratch late day when it's going to be cold at night, and greenery every other day or so from the kitchen.

Thank you.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You might just keep a close eye on him for now, and the rest of them. It's likely they'll all come down with whatever this is over the next few weeks. Some people would separate him and you still can but the rest of your flock has already been exposed. If you start hearing coughing, wheezing or rattling breathing then it's a good idea to give antibiotic's to help prevent pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections. It won't cure whatever respiratory disease they have but it will help prevent death from those complications.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I wouldn't treat for just bubbles in the eye, but if he gets depressed, stops eating, then yes, treat.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  4. KittieChick

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC
    Thank you. That's what I'll do, then. I'm hoping it's nothing serious. I really like this rooster. I did notice a slight gurgling tonight when I closed the coop up. Is it time for antibiotics?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How is he today?

-Kathy

6. KittieChick

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC

Thanks, Kathy. I think he needs something more than VetRx. I turned them out just now, and he sounds congested. Nobody else is having any issues. So, off to TSC for antibiotics I go. I'm thinking the water soluble, and then I can syringe it to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by