With the CornishX or Meat King, do the chicks come from mothers who have been boosted with hormones

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RForbes, Jan 28, 2014.

1. RForbes

RForbes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    .. And if so does that crap go also into the hatchling? I might be way too anal here but I figure if I'm gonna raise my own chickens, I want to make sure it's organic all the way.

We were raising a bunch of White Chantecler, but did a rookie mistake and introduced 7 new hens to our existing flock without quarantining the new batch for a while, and they came with a respiratory virus, so they all have to go now

pls and thank you

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Parent stock of meat birds don't have the super fast growth rate and resulting health problems. They don't require antibiotics and what have you to keep them healthy.

Cornish X or Meat Kings purchased as day old chicks can be raised and certified as organic.

It's important to note that they are meant for slaughter at 8-12 weeks. Rationing feed will keep them healthier but over limiting will delay date of slaughter for desired weights. They are a hybrid that don't use roosts nor are expected to live to egg laying or breeding age.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. RForbes

RForbes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Thank you very much for your reply that's pretty much what we wanted to know. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by