With Winter Coming I'm Worried About the Temperature

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WalkerH, Sep 22, 2011.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

So as I was outside I felt a cool breeze come drifting along. I began to think about how the chickens will fair this winter. I know I read most will be fine without a heater, and since I don't have electricity out there until next spring it isn't an option. Around here is gets into the low 20's. Although that is cold for us I was wondering if the chickens will be fine? If not I was thinking about making an insulated box to sit around the roosts, and smaller then the coop to conserve heat. As I have a coop 8x10 and only nine chickens that will be using it. What do you all think? Do you think they will be fine?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Unless you have a breed of chickens not known to be cold hardy (e.g., Malaysian Seramas), as long as you have a dry, draft free and adequately ventilated coop, I would say you have nothing whatsoever to worry about. Chickens come with down coats, after all.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    They will be fine, we get temps in the -30 and into the -40s sometimes and they do fine. Just make sure you have a draft free coop.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:This says it all [​IMG]

5. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    We have similar winters to yours here and the cold was not an issue for my hens - but ventillation most definitely was! Be sure you have adequate ventillation or your birds may end up with frost bite. Draft-free but lots of air flow at the top.

6. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay good, first year with chickens and I was slightly worried. And no I have Golden Laced Wyandottes and some Brown Leghorns. Will probably be getting a couple more this weekend from the fair though. And yeah we have open rafters up top that extend out both sides, although we have chicken wire over the opening.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:Get some big fatties like BO's or Brahmas for everyone to cuddle up with!

8. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    i have a 6*4 shed with 2 adult BO and 3 babies about 5/6 weeks old at the moment , as the area is large and not so many chickens ( for now !) will they be ok ? i know there hardy birds and they sleep on the floor in a corner of the coop together . does it make sence to make sure there is lots of straw/bedding material around compared to what i would use in the summer time ?

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I had 8 hens in a 6x8 metal shed.They did fine.Winter before that it was just 3 hens. I added straw bales and a thick layer of shavings. Biggest issue was pecking due to boredom.Never had frostbite ,and they kept laying eggs.

10. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Maryland has relatively nice winter. As long as you can control the draft, they will be fine. No heat or insulation necessary. Did you think about water? Frozen waterer will be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by