Withdrawal period for antithelmintics -- using the eggs as animal food

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brandywine, Feb 4, 2009.

1. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    Okay, say I need to worm my flock (as far as I know, I don't yet, but I expect I will have to at some point).

Say I use either ivermectin or fenbendazole.

I understand that the withdrawal period is two weeks.

Throwing out two weeks worth of eggs would really twist my knickers.

Now, I have four dogs and three cats. When I worm them, I use fenbendazole, which has a very wide margin of safety. The dogs get ivomec for heartworm control. (They are all MDR1 normal/normal, so this is safe for them.)

If I worm the chickens with the same products is there any reason the dogs can't eat all those eggs?

I've thought about the risk of encouraging resistance in the dogs' parasites if they get two weeks of a very low exposure to an antithelmintic via the eggs for two weeks.

So what if I worm everyone -- dogs, cats, chickens -- at the same time, so that there are theoretically no intestinal parasites in the dogs to develop resistance as they eat the eggs for the next two weeks?

Is this reasoning sound?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would feed back to the animals.

3. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    Hi, I just wormed my chickens using valbazen. See this thread describing why I chose this wormer. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=125346&p=1

I threw out the eggs the first week and am feeding cooked eggs to my dogs the second week. I think it is probably OK to feed the eggs to animals right away, but I was being extra cautious. I can hardly wait to be able to eat the eggs again--I'm out and won't buy some... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by