WithDrawal period for SafeGuard?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saltandpepper2, Dec 27, 2013.

1. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, my chickens have worms. ( wish I had known when they were moulting!)

I got Safeguard equine paste for them, as it seems that that is the best wormer for chickens and dogs. But I have two problems, one, what is the dosage???? all my hens weigh 6lbs+. two, is there a withdrawal period??? My hen's laying JUST started picking up, and it would hurt to have to throw out all the eggs.... Would there be any bad effects if I ate the eggs after worming???

Thanks in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually fenbendazole (SafeGuard ) is not supposed to be used during a molt because it has been reported to cause feathers to grow in abnormally, although some have used it without problems. The dosage for general worming is about 10 to 25 mg per pound of weight, and it is pretty safe if slightly more is given. Give once and repeat in 10 days. Egg withdrawal is 14 days after last treatment. Most recommend not to eat the eggs. If treating for gapeworm or blackhead disease, 25 mg per pound is given for 3 days , wait 10 days, then repeated for 3 days.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  3. saltandpepper2

Thanks! Well, I guess it won't hurt to not get any eggs for a while.... I have 5 dozen in the fridge, lol. Can I feed the eggs to my dogs or cats? just don't want to completely waste them.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You know how some people are--they will say, "Oh I ate them and they didn't kill me." Some people do feed them to their dogs and some eat them themselves, but there is a bit of worm medicine passed on, so I wouldn't personally recommend it. What can happen is that your animals can build up a resistance to worm meds.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. saltandpepper2

Thank you! I'm kind of freaking out right now, my dog had bad worms, and we had tried almost every type of dog wormer, with no success. I just gave him ( he's 90lbs) one tbs of safe guard, the only dosage I could find was one ml per 5lbs.... I'm praying I didn't over dose! I would never forgive myself.....

6. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Do search on this site for "Safeguard"....tons of threads on dosages, withdrawal, etc.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by