Withdrawal Time for Pyrantel Pamoate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i give up. i've searched all over the internet. My vet prescribed several different medications for an infestation of lice and worms and cocci, which i have already administered. i could find withdrawal times on the others, but not for the Pyrantel Pamoate. It is marketed by Vedco under the name Equi-Phar ProTal. It appears to be a horse dewormer.

i probably should have searched for withdrawal times BEFORE giving the meds. But i trusted she knew what she was doing. Now my fear is that i've given my hens something that will keep us from eating their eggs for a very long time, if ever.

Does anyone have any information on this? i would greatly appreciate any personal experience with the medication, and what you chose as the appropriate withdrawal time for you. Also, if anyone has information on a better dewormer to use in the future, i would greatly appreciate it.

2. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thank you for the link. i will go read that now. By withdrawal time i mean to eat the eggs.

Edited to add: i just read that link. i did find that info on the net, but it only mentions horses. i could not find anything about chickens. i guess i need to write to the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
  4. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I use the same thing for my kids. It is a horse wormer! 7 day withdrawal. This is what I went by. [​IMG]

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, thank you ChickLuver. We can eat eggs again!
    [​IMG]

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Hi,

Isn't Pyrantel Pamoate the same thing that is in many of the dog wormers? If so, can this be used or does it need to be the one specific for horses? What strength should I be looking for?

Shane

7. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    What dosage do you use for pyrantel?

8. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    am here

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  9. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  10. maryflo

maryflo New Egg

Jun 18, 2013
    My vet just left me with 2 doses of pyrantel pamoate to administer 2 weeks apart to all 12 of my hens. What have you all determined? Should I use it? Can we ever eat the eggs afterward?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by