Withholding food in cold weather

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bja105, May 18, 2009.

1. bja105

bja105 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Western PA
    I moved my 3 week old + Cornish crosses outside Friday, but I still have them free feeding. I know its time for 12 on 12 off, but we had a frost last night, and will again tonight.

Does eating help chickens keep warm? If it does, I'll wait another day to pull their feed. If not, they fast tonight.

I lost most of my beans last night. I had 2 - 30' rows planted. Everything else did fine, including the birds. The heat lamp was popular.

2. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    idk about the feeding - but i lost alot beans too! (and watermelon) i was SO MAD! it's almost june darn it!

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

You're still getting frost in PA?? Wow- is there any way to put a heat lamp on your birds at night? I'm still doing it with my 7 week olds- it helps with piling, and it won't hurt them, even though they don't need it. I don't know about whether or not eating raises their temps, but I've heard that they don't eat in the dark anyway. I take my food away at night starting at three weeks regardless of temp.

4. zephyrcreek

zephyrcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Yale, Michigan
    According to my Biology and Anatomy classes, yes digestion does raise the body temp. I have also had horses for years and there have been many studies showing that feeding extra hay during cold snaps really help the horses to maintain their body temps. I would assume the same would apply to chickens if they are eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by