Within a week.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bakerjw, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Last Fall, due to 2 broody hens, I managed to hatch out 11 chicks. 3 of them are roos and are a cross between White Rocks and Silver Sebrights. These are the meanest roos that I've ever experienced. They harass all of the other larger birds in their run and try to mount everything in sight. They were crowing at a bit less than 3 months of age. It's amazing how quickly they matured. So this last weekend I decided that their time in our coop is coming to an end in the very near future. If not one evening this week then surely next Saturday.

I had always thought that the first time butchering chickens would be slightly difficult but these little demon spawn birds from hell have assured me that it is not going to be the case. I've cleaned duck, pheasant, quail, etc... so that part is covered. Now to bleed them out and try to see how difficult it is to do caponizing. The next batch of roos will become capons.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    good plan!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Demon spawn birds from hell."[​IMG] Be sure to hatch eggs from their sisters.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    You didn't know that's a breed? [​IMG]

5. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    Quote:lol [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I've got ten of the screamin' meanies myself. I threw them out to fend for themselves at three weeks (late in the fall) . . . honestly I was hoping the feral cats would get them. NO SUCH LUCK! We're coming on spring and I still have ten, the roosters are starting to harrass my laying hens already . . . I'm right there with baker!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by