1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Within seconds hawks were above us.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have my girls in an enclosed run since I have dogs and don't trust them. I pen the dogs and let the girls free range on occasion. Yesterday I put the dogs up and let the girls out. Within seconds crows were making a huge raucous. Then a huge hawk came screaming through the sky. The crows were working together to get it out of their territory. Then suddenly another raucous across the road and a huge turkey vulture was on the hunt. Again, the crows were on it!! Now, I have heard how chickens take note of such activity and will run & hide from hawks. Not so!! Maybe three hens ran into the coop, the rest just continued as if nothing was going on, including the rooster! We sat down there to discourage any hawks from taking a chicken off into the wild blue yonder. Do I have the only chickens with no natural instinct???????

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Well, we haven't exactly selected for brains in the last few decades.

3. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Were they being bird brains? Or were they feeling safe because you as the "head rooster" were there
    keeping them safe by being on the lookout!! [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Next time try giving a warning squack of your own. If they are still just hanging around after you, the head roo has sounded the warning I'd have to say that they're on the bird brain side of things and shouldn't free range without supervision.l

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Only breed and hatch eggs from those who ran to the coop.

6. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    I don't know that chickens always see the hawks coming. Me and my girls were out with our hens one day and a hawk landed in the tree right above our heads.
    We hurried and gathered them.. afraid that the hawk would go for the ones further away from us. Darn chickens only started running to get away from us...LOL.
    I imagine the hawk got a good show.. and finally just left.

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I think you need to have a hawk kill one first (not saying let one kill it just saying) my birds never ran for shelter since I was always in the yard with them running screaming at the hawks the second I let my guard down and a SSH killed my guinea and attempted to fly threw the hen house fence. Now my birds act like there in vietnam if they even see the shadow of a huge dragonfly there hitting the trenches and running for the barraks. OMG OMG you should have seen my yard today when the Crop duster was spraying the wheat fields for worms it was truly a priceless moment.

8. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] and good point

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] You painted a very vivid picture.
    My mom has parrots who are never outside. They get quiet and try to be small when they see a shadow of a hawk overhead. I just thought it was a natural instinct. [​IMG]

10. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Shotgun anyone? Forget the chickens and take care of the hawk. Easy for me to say where I am at no one would ever know. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by