Without a trace.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Micah DeRocher, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Micah DeRocher

Micah DeRocher New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    I had a fully grown Black copper maran come up missing. They were in my fully fenced yard at around 1:00pm. I couldn't find any sign of a struggle, not any feathers on the ground anywhere. She has never flown over the fence, she can barely flutter into the coop in the evenings. I live in a suburban neighborhood in central Alabama. The only birds of prey we have are Red-shouldered hawks, that weigh 1.5lbs at most, so there is no way one of those could have carried her of without a trace. I hate that she is gone because she was my best producer. Any ideas???

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like a quick and large sort of predator. Coyote and bobcat come quickly to mind. Or perhaps even a human. Do the rest of your birds appear traumatized or fearful? I would be concerned that whatever it was will return.

3. Micah DeRocher

Micah DeRocher New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    The other hens acted like nothing happened. I'd hate to think she was stolen but I guess it's a possibility. Maybe she was abducted by aliens...

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    One could only hope on the aliens. I've been told they never return .

5. Kristen5894

Kristen5894 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Wildomar
    Same thing happened to us. It was a coyote. No sound, no feathers. Our neighbor saw him carry her off. I am so sorry for your loss.

6. a704

a704 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    NE ohio
    Yeah something big carried it away I would guess coyote

7. Poticus

Poticus Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Louisiana

How tall is your fence? It seems like a coyote would have had trouble scaling a fence. A bobcat could've done easily.

8. Micah DeRocher

Micah DeRocher New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I found her yesterday deep under a bush. She had been dead for some time. I couldn't see any obvious signs of trauma. I would have done a necropsy but she was too far gone at that point. I'm sad to lose her, she was my most productive and sweetest hen.

9. jaylorm

jaylorm New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    Central New York
    We lost one today too, we think it was a fox, so bummed.

10. Micah DeRocher

Micah DeRocher New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

My sweet Jemimah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by