Witnessed something most disturbing...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frozen Feathers, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Okay not really that disturbing but...
    I was sitting outside watching the chickens and such and then I notice my drake, Howard (formally known as Daisy) doing this funny head bopping thing. My first thought "Wow that's really weird, I wonder if he's got something caught in his throat." Then he proceeded to mount my blue Swedish duck, Unka! [​IMG]
    Thank you Howard, I really needed to see that. Sorry, but I've never had ducks before (besides wild mallards and they flew away) and I thought it was funny and disturbing, especially disturbing because I sat right there and watched the whole thing.
    ANYWAY...
    So does that mean they'll be laying soon? They are only 16 weeks old...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    sounds like the are laying already, but you want to know if eggs will be coming soon, I dont know the answer.

What would have really been disturbing would have been seeing him mount dave the duck, who dispite all complaints by him will always be known as DARLA the dreke in the duck yard. [​IMG]

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I about cracked up when I saw my Little East Indie drake "try" to get on my swedish hen! Poor guy just couldn't reach! [​IMG] ((I even took Pix))

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Ive always felt sorry for ducks, in a way. I mean, look at how we're laughing at that drake - who once thought he was a female and then changed his mind somehow? Just the thought of them mating has us in stitches. Ducks are one of the silliest critters around.

Compare that with a randy roo, mountnig and tearing into his favorite hen with a vengeance. Eeeeesh...gives me the willies.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I think the term "screw" comes from a drake's . . . uh . . . tool. Did you get a look at it?

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah that's an ewwww moment. [​IMG]

My pair was mating for about 3 weeks before she started laying. I guess he matured faster than she did!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by