Witnessed the egg coming out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Omelette, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Omelette

Omelette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Each morning I let the chickens out of their coup. One wouldn't leave the nest. So, I picked her up to place her outside. Just as I was putting her down the egg popped out. It was sooo cool! She is the one that I thought wasn't laying. I'm getting 2 eggs per day from 4 chickens, so I'm trying to figure out who is responsible for what.

Anyhow, it was quite an awesome sight.

2. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    I think that is luckier than finding a penny and picking it up, right? [​IMG]

3. Omelette

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes - sooo lucky!

I can't believe life before chickens. They are so much fun!

Now, if I could just figure out who else is (or isn't) laying.

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    good thing it was an egg that popped out or that could have been real sh&%y

5. Omelette

Jun 29, 2007
    LOL!

Good point [​IMG]

6. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Hi, Omelette

I really like your avatar. Did you take that pic yourself?

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    You can make trap nests to see which of your birds is laying or not. However, I borrowed one once, and after over a month of trying it in various locations my hens still refused to go in to it. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

8. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Congrats on the egg... that is so cool watching them lay those things... I got to see my first last week. It was the neatest thing... I even had my "Big Boy" rooster involved it was the neatest thing.
    A trap nest? What the heck is that? I have 30 hens that are about 19 weeks old... I know I have 2 of them are laying... but shouldnt I have more laying by now? I'm game to try anything at this point since I cant find any of my eggs except the one or two I get in the coop everyday... I even put real thick hay down under the nests incase they didnt want to lay in the nest.... And I can't lock them in... they can get out... coop was specially made for with escape areas incase of an attack. I told DH I wanted to cover them for a few days so that I can see whos Laying and whos not... but he says no... what should I do? I did try the box with hay in it... and that just didnt work either.
    Sorry for stealing a piece of thread
    Tes

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Tes,
    19 weeks is still on the early end of things. Give them a couple more weeks and, before you know it, you'll be up to your eyeballs in eggs!! What are you going to do with all those eggs, anyway?!! [​IMG]

Ellen

10. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    birdlover... well... besides the ones we eat with a family of 6 (and sometimes 7+ depending on my oldest and nieces and nephews LOL) We intend to sell the rest... I already have a list going of those that are interested... and since I am the only one in my area... I know I will have plenty of buyers.

tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by