WLH "Roo" Laid an Egg

Allears

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2015
South Africa
I'm guessing it's the one in front? Would explain the size difference and that one is more aloof.
LL

Both were thrown on the cull pile as day old chicks. The one in the back is slightly deformed, I literally dug him out of the pile of dead chicks. The other one was closer to the top of the pile.

The egg had a soft shell which was brownish and was about the size of my ducks eggs. But Duck-Duck was already on her nest when I found this egg near the chicken coop.

They both look like white Rock (not Leghorn) hens. That, or possibly very well managed Cornish cross, as they're pretty hefty looking birds.

How old are they?

Those are hens. I used to have a couple of Cornish Rock hens and they laid reasonably well. But, they certainly ate to much to keep as layers. They will lay brown eggs.

Last edited:
They both look like white Rock (not Leghorn) hens. That, or possibly very well managed Cornish cross, as they're pretty hefty looking birds.

How old are they?
They are four months old now. I am confused as to why they would have been culled if they are both hens
hu.gif
The poultry farm they were rescued from breeds for laying and meat. I'm so happy though because I can stop worrying about the neighbours complaining about them crowing and I'll have to change their names, Chester and Russell Crow
lau.gif
I was also about to cut back on their feed because they are about 5kg! Thanks everyone for the feedback
thumbsup.gif

LL

Last edited:
At that size, they're whatever your country's version of Cornish cross is called. Meat birds. I don't know why they were in the cull bin, except if the sexing is only 90% accurate for females, it stands to reason there are females accidently culled also. Weird that you got two females, though. Unless in your area female meat birds are culled as they don't grow quite as fast.

At that size, they're whatever your country's version of Cornish cross is called. Meat birds. I don't know why they were in the cull bin, except if the sexing is only 90% accurate for females, it stands to reason there are females accidently culled also. Weird that you got two females, though. Unless in your area female meat birds are culled as they don't grow quite as fast.
The girls are apparently Cornish x game, Plymouth Rock hybrids, they wouldn't give me the actual crossing though. My girls are serously overweight and I have to cut down to 260g food per day, or the meat will outgrow the bone structure
ep.gif
Thanks for your input, you've probably saved my chickens lives!

Back
Top Bottom