WLH "Roo" Laid an Egg

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Allears, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Allears

Allears Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    I'm guessing it's the one in front? Would explain the size difference and that one is more aloof.
    [​IMG]
    Both were thrown on the cull pile as day old chicks. The one in the back is slightly deformed, I literally dug him out of the pile of dead chicks. The other one was closer to the top of the pile.

The egg had a soft shell which was brownish and was about the size of my ducks eggs. But Duck-Duck was already on her nest when I found this egg near the chicken coop.

1 person likes this.
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They both look like white Rock (not Leghorn) hens. That, or possibly very well managed Cornish cross, as they're pretty hefty looking birds.

How old are they?

3. Macksy

Macksy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    South Africa
    Those are LUCKY chickens. [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Those are hens. I used to have a couple of Cornish Rock hens and they laid reasonably well. But, they certainly ate to much to keep as layers. They will lay brown eggs.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  7. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    They are four months old now. I am confused as to why they would have been culled if they are both hens [​IMG] The poultry farm they were rescued from breeds for laying and meat. I'm so happy though because I can stop worrying about the neighbours complaining about them crowing and I'll have to change their names, Chester and Russell Crow [​IMG] I was also about to cut back on their feed because they are about 5kg! Thanks everyone for the feedback [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At that size, they're whatever your country's version of Cornish cross is called. Meat birds. I don't know why they were in the cull bin, except if the sexing is only 90% accurate for females, it stands to reason there are females accidently culled also. Weird that you got two females, though. Unless in your area female meat birds are culled as they don't grow quite as fast.

10. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    The girls are apparently Cornish x game, Plymouth Rock hybrids, they wouldn't give me the actual crossing though. My girls are serously overweight and I have to cut down to 260g food per day, or the meat will outgrow the bone structure [​IMG] Thanks for your input, you've probably saved my chickens lives!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by