WNC Injured week old chick please help

ErvinFlock

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
Brevard, NC
I really didn’t want to raise any chicks inside this year. Those of you who have many chickens what would you do? When to cull a chick? Maybe give away? Anyone in WNC?

This chick was injured on both sides, this I assume from the other chicks pecking her.
I’ve been using the poultry care with a q tip and it seems to be healing.
1) At what point can I integrate her back into the group with mama and her siblings?
2) anything else I should put on it? Instead?
3) I don’t want to put her back in with the siblings and have them start making the injury worse again.

I have not applied the pick no more because it doesn’t say if it can go directly on a wound. It also warns about not getting into eyes and th chicks injury is so close to her eyes.

Few things to note.

This hen will adopt. She will gladly take chicks from Tractor Supply. Also 5 of the chicks in the picture were from another of my hens that was killing her babies so her privileges of being a mom were revoked. (Now the murderous mom is in chicken jail. A story for another day.)

My all my girls free range, I’m aware of the dangers, thanks. I have a protective roo who has met his baby chicks and kept the other hens away from them. All well on that front. I’d just like to get this chick out of the house

TIA

362F402E-DA0A-411F-B52C-C3C01D75691B.jpeg

Attachments

• 81B3261B-7747-4413-A65B-0A26AA6F2108.jpeg
    81B3261B-7747-4413-A65B-0A26AA6F2108.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 0EC89D2D-EED5-40C0-9A67-571C1F62EA34.jpeg
    0EC89D2D-EED5-40C0-9A67-571C1F62EA34.jpeg
    975.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
How long has she been away from the broody and other chicks? Does she seem to walk and behave normally? I wonder why she was pecked by her flock or broody. Could she have been pecked by one of the other chickens? I would try her soon by placing her under the broody before daylight, and then stay around to see how they all act. If this just happened a day or two ago, that might work. Her ear looks damaged. Is the other side the same?

How long has she been away from the broody and other chicks? Does she seem to walk and behave normally? I wonder why she was pecked by her flock or broody. Could she have been pecked by one of the other chickens? I would try her soon by placing her under the broody before daylight, and then stay around to see how they all act. If this just happened a day or two ago, that might work. Her ear looks damaged. Is the other side the same?
She has been away for 3 nights. She wasn’t around the other adults until today. The other side of her head looks the similar.

Back
Top Bottom