WNTD - Chantecler & Buckeye Chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bebe, Dec 30, 2008.

1. bebe

bebe New Egg

Dec 30, 2008
    Danbury, CT
    Hi there,
    A newbie here looking to purchase a few chicks for April/May. I am searching for someone nearby who has Chanteclers, Buckeyes and/or Hollands. I am leary of purchasing through the mail because I only want 6 and I can't seem to find anyone who will split an order with me. Is anyone out there selling these breeds near me?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    If you don't find anyone Mypetchicken.com sells as few as 3 chicks.

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Hi. Those breeds are really quite rare, and so you may have some trouble finding sources near you. I'd advise you to widen the net, especially if you are looking for quality heritage birds. I know people who have spent months searching for genuine Hollands or Chanteclers in the US and Canada. Buckeyes are rare too, but they're a little easier to find than the others.

Some of the hatcheries do sell these breeds, but you may be disappointed in the quality.

4. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Ideal Hatchery sells all 3 of those breeds, how good they are? I don`t know, because I have never ordered from them. Good luck!

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Sand Hill Preservation Center has all three breeds you're looking for. They do have a minimum order of 25 chicks, but you can probably sell the extras after choosing which you want to keep for yourself.

6. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:Does anyone know how close to the standard Sandhill chicks are?

7. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Does anyone know how close to the standard Sandhill chicks are?

I honestly don't know what kind of quality they'd have with these breeds--Sand Hill's quality is spotty, but if you get lucky, you could get some good birds from there. I do know that one member here got Hollands from Ideal that lay tan eggs [​IMG] See the thread here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=110290

I also know that if you want good Buckeyes, you should buy from Bill Braden at Land of Tobe--he's got some of the nicest Buckeyes I've seen:
    http://landoftobe.com/

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Bill Braden has awesome stock. Not a big hathery but yep you'll like em.

I would advise taking a risk with brooding more than you want and selling what you dont want as opposed to looking for someone that will sell you just a few.

As you begin to understand quality you will always wish you had gone for it the first time.

9. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    HI

You could try CHantecler Fancier International (do a google search)
    There may be someone in your area that can supply you some.
    Unfortunately we can't ship them from Canada.

N:_)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by