WOAH- gross poops

RobinS1217

Songster
Aug 7, 2022
Eastern TN
Why am I always inspecting poop?
Well- I just witnessed a horrific sight. My layer who had been broody 6 week finally broke then started molting. Now she has HORRIFIC poop. The second photo was the one I witnessed project out of her body with a lot of fluid.

Please help.
No mites. No lice. I clean their coop every 3 days. Change waters every other day.

Haven’t changed their food. No new chickens.

I compared to this chart (https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0) and she seems to think the bird just isn’t eating?

Attachments

• 1A7992D5-2B51-4545-99C5-3B71F7240103.jpeg
    1A7992D5-2B51-4545-99C5-3B71F7240103.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 18
  • EB6C92A5-5DF2-4C66-8EE5-D28513DDF062.jpeg
    EB6C92A5-5DF2-4C66-8EE5-D28513DDF062.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
You and we are always inspecting our chickens' poop because we intuitively know that poop can be a first-line indicator of a change in health status.

Six weeks broody can seriously undermine health. I hope you have a plan in place to break the next broody if you don't wish to have her hatch chicks.

What I suggest is to first give a probiotic for a few days, a tablet a day directly into her beak. I like acidophillis. Get it where they sell vitamins for people.

Next, some poultry vitamins for about one week with some animal protein every other day.

After a week of special care, her poop should be back on track.

You and we are always inspecting our chickens' poop because we intuitively know that poop can be a first-line indicator of a change in health status.

Six weeks broody can seriously undermine health. I hope you have a plan in place to break the next broody if you don't wish to have her hatch chicks.

What I suggest is to first give a probiotic for a few days, a tablet a day directly into her beak. I like acidophillis. Get it where they sell vitamins for people.

Next, some poultry vitamins for about one week with some animal protein every other day.

After a week of special care, her poop should be back on track.
I tried all the recommended things. She is a golden comet which is supposedly not a broody breed and she didn’t have access to a roo. We had her in a dog crate elevated off the ground for a week. We tried taking her on a car ride. we took eggs immediately. We went out of town for 2 days and had a friend caring for them. Came home- and she was no longer broody. Started laying again like a week later. She’s been laying again since mid October. Then she started her molt. By animal protein, you mean cooked meat or scrambled eggs correct?

Back
Top Bottom