Wobbling chickens...

AndrosSeramas

Hatching
Mar 28, 2015
Since last year I have had some cases of chickens that get sick, they start getting weak, losing strength in their legs, followed by losing balance, at first, they still manage to eat and drink, but they just grow weaker every day until they no longer can stand, reach the food or water, and subsequently start going down, I have medicated with Tylan 200, Vetr-X, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin C, Nutri-drench, feed is a mix of Purina Layina crumbles, Game bird Startina, Hen scratch, and black oil sunflower seeds. Water is changed every day and cured with 2 tablespoons of Apple cider Vinegar/gal. All cases happen as 1 at a time and appear about 4 to 6 weeks of each other, birds have been in trios or pairs and seems like the cage companions do not get affected, the affliction appears very randomly. In all cases I have tried to help them up for 2 weeks, until they are so week that I rather cull. Only
one case showed also ear infection which cleared in 2 days but followed with the above described symptoms. I would like to know if I am dealing with Merecks, of which I understand would be highly contagious and devastating, aside of other symptoms not apparent here, this has been a 1 at a time situation, never 2 or more birds at a time and not less than 4 to six weeks between cases, what is it and how can it be treated if there is a cure?
I forgot to mention that they have also been wormed with Wazine, Corid, Valbazen at different times...

Last edited:
I have read that you can contact your state veterinarian or county extension agent to find out where to send birds for necropsy (they have to be deceased and I believe refrigerated).

I am sorry for your losses and hope you can find out what the diagnosis is.

Back
Top Bottom