wobbling chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by James Draper, Dec 26, 2013.

1. James Draper

James Draper New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    I have about 30 rir chicks that's about 2 months old and last week there were all doing great now I've got about 6 that are walking real wobbly and have the wings out wide like there trying to help keep balance and have 3 that can't even walk anymore I have them in a cage by themselves but there still eating and drinking normal and there others are doing fine and will it spread to the other chicks or what someone PLEASE HELP

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

You may want to re-post this in the Emergency/Disease forum. I'm sorry, I don't have the experience to address your question, but someone here will soon.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

First [​IMG] and good to have you aboard [​IMG]

2 months old should be fully feathered and good size and I take it you are keeping them out of the wind so lets try this I know sugar or malaises is not the greatest thing for them but I am sure everyone just want's them happy so let's try putting some of that in the water and next a couple of hard boiled egg's as you have 30 I think you wrote above so I usually do 1 hard boiled egg to 10 chicks [​IMG] .....
    Next an question for you what are you feeding your new flock, they should be receiving or I should write I give mine a Turkey Grow with 20% protein for a good healthy weight gain and over all growth [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. James Draper

James Draper New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    I feed them laying crumbles

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure what is going, but would suggest switching them to a 'grower ration'. Welcome to BYC.

6. [​IMG]
    It can be dangerous to growing chickens to feed them any laying food. This is not because of size. The laying food has added calcium which can mess up their growing. I suggest to put them back on chick starter until they have layed their 1st egg. Which will be a few months.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures <- post here for an answer to your question!
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Get them off "layer" crumbles now!! Young chicks cannot handle the calcium. It is meant for laying hens not babies.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

9. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    Drumstick 2x

10. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    in case all of you are wondering, In the avatar, that is a day old deer that walked into my yard from the woods. The mother never came back for her so she started following me around everywhere I walked. It stayed around the house and in about 3 days it died. The DNR told me to let it follow me into the woods then run from it. But all that achieved was killing the baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by