Wobbly air-sacs?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollymh, Apr 27, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    I have recieved some shipped eggs with wobbly air-sac, they don't appear to be completly detached, just moving around a bit... So, should I be concerned and what measures should I take in order to succsefully hatch some baby ducklins?!

2. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Quote:Its a little hard to take you seriously with your avatar LOL jk.

Okay well. There are a lot of topics on this but you have to make sure that they do not move when going into incubation.

I personally would get my money back. But some people have successfully done it. They are pretty hardy chicks.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

In my personal experience, those with detached air sacks never developed. Now I do have some bantam Cochin eggs in the bator now and most have detached air sacks, but I have 4 or 5 eggs that are developing. I quit buying shipped eggs a long time ago and have only recently purchased two sets of eggs from two different breeders.

Supposedly if you let them sit, the air sacks will sometimes reattach.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I too have mailed eggs that have a moving air sac. Then I question that as it shouldn't be possible if that occured. Point your airsac end up and pray for the best!
    Not sure about "getting you money back" as I feel this could happen in shipping, once eggs leave the breeders hands its considered "your" problem.

Personally I will not buy eggs online again.

5. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Well I was going to let them rest 24hrs, should I wait longer than that?

6. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Oh I expected it a bit, the eggs came a long way so it is in no way the breededs fault.

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

24 hours should be enough, but like I said previously, rest the air sacs, during incubation, higher then the point end. Even if it takes a few paper towels to lay them on.
    Good Luck!

8. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Thanks, I need it after last hatch, I think I'm going to try the egg carton method for these guys.

9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The wobbly air sac is definitely from the shipping and in no way the fault of the shipper. I don`t think waiting more than 24 hours would do any good. An auto turner would be good and avoid handling as much as possible. If you candle, just get a flash light and candle it from the top, moving the light instead of turning the egg.

10. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Quote:Thanks, I need it after last hatch, I think I'm going to try the egg carton method for these guys.

I would highly recommend that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by