wobbly chick, video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cottonwood, Nov 4, 2013.

1. cottonwood

cottonwood New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    This baby is about a month old. has been healthy until the last 2 days. She has been holding steady at this state, both legs seem symmetrically weak. She walks on her metatarsi, rather than her feet, and obviously can't walk well. She is breathing fine, her poo is normal, and the rest of the flock is healthy. She wasn't vaccinated at birth... is this Marek's?
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It might be a vitamin deficiency. Try giving some vitamins (either special poultry vitamins or Poly Vi Sol baby vitamins from a supermarket), and see if that helps. Often, inability to walk at a rather young age is the result of a vitamin deficiency.

One month is pretty young for a bird to get Marek's. It usually doesn't appear until the bird is at least five months old. So, for now, I don't think this is Marek's. Treat for a vitamin deficiency first.

3. cottonwood

cottonwood New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    Thank you, I will.

4. cottonwood

cottonwood New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    For the record, I'm feeding this little Roo special rickets meals. He is beginning to respond, after a couple days. Today, he stood up completely for the first time, and he will walk across the room--still wobbly, but better. He also ran to me, clumsily, and sat in my lap. Such a relief, thanks Wyandotte7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by