wobbly chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiedee1, Dec 15, 2015.

1. chickiedee1

chickiedee1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2015
    Otago
    Hi, one of my chicks is very wobbly, had curled toes which I managed to fix, now is wobbly and walks oddly?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures and videos can help to see what you are seeing. Vitamins with trace minerals may help if he has a deficiency. How old is he? Were his toes curled under or just crooked to the side? Is he eating and drinking enough? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease?

3. chickiedee1

Nov 3, 2015
    Otago
    He's eating and drinking plenty, he's about 4 weeks old and is eating chick starter crumb, his 3 other siblings are doing fine, he hatched 2 days after the others and is smaller, I have been feeding him seperately as the others push him out of the way. Will try to get some photos or a video soon.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He might be a little weaker or meeker. What you are doing is probably the best for him. Mareks can present symptoms at this age, but usually is later. Vitamins, probiotics, and some egg may help him catch up.

5. chickiedee1

Nov 3, 2015
    Otago
    ok thanks, will try that. :)

6. chickiedee1

Nov 3, 2015
    Otago
    [​IMG] This is what his feet looked like, his feet are almost completely normal now, wonder if they are linked?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Curled under toes into a claw can be due to a vitamin B2 (defiency,) but toes curled sideways may be genetric or due to incubator temperatures flucuating.

8. chickiedee1

Nov 3, 2015
    Otago
    He hatched 2 days later, he was under a broody hen and I suspect she kicked the egg out by accident and then tucked it back under.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are his toes getting better with the vitamins? Make sure they contain riboflavin.

10. chickiedee1

Nov 3, 2015
    Otago
    Sorry, forgot to post a video will do that soon, for a while he was improving but now one foot seems to stick out heaps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by