Wobbly chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oEch0o, May 3, 2017.

1. oEch0o

oEch0o Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm afraid something has gone terribly wrong with my new baby, Elvis. I came home not long ago and found him propped up against the brooder. I came back out a bit later and then he was on his back on the ground. I had helped him get on his feet the first time so I know he wasn't like that for too long, I have no clue what's wrong but it seems like either a foot issue or brain issue. He was very perky and peeping up a storm yesterday

2. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    we need some more information. Age temperature of the brooder, what are you feeding, who else is with him, any pictures of him and you set up...

3. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    He's 6 days old, I'm not sure about the temperature. I have a big enough brooder so that they can decide where the temperatures best and I will move the heat lamp around accordingly. I'm feeding them chick starter which ended up being too big for them to eat, so I have to crush it up some. He's with 5 others, soon to be 6 since Uno started piping this morning and will hopefully make it out. No pictures right now but I can try to get some later.

I think I've figured out the issue though. He refuses to eat unless I show him the food in my hand, and he's less than half the size of the other chicks even though he hatched first, so they just knock him over and disorient him. I take him out when he isn't doing too well now and I think he's doing fine. Not wobbly anymore and much more active again

4. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Good to hear. Sometimes they fail to thrive, and the strong are mean.. good luck

5. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    I've had many fail to thrive and it's heartbreaking. I want him to live so bad because he's so much like a chick I used to have and that chick didn't make it past 5 days

6. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    He's gone. Died shortly after I got home while I was feeding the animals

7. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I am sorry :hugs

8. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    No need to be. I appreciate your help

9. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    At least you didn't have to make the choice to call it that is always hard.

10. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    I could never do that. Even when I think it's best, I just don't have it in me to end one of my pets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by