Wobbly chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosawoodsii, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    First, an introduction. I'm not new to chickens, but new to raising chicks. My mother has done it for years, and rarely lost a bird. I have lots of experience raising horses, but these are definitely not the same. [​IMG] Since my mother is now 87, she doesn't want the hassle of raising chicks any more. (Can't blame her there!)

I love the sight of hens running around with their chicks, and I think hens are probably much better mothers than we are, so after some investigation, decided to get some chickens that are noted for broodiness.

I just got four new chicks last week, 2 Buff Orpingtons, one Cochin, and one Black Austrolorp. For the first couple days I fed them ground up egg layer crumble and finally got the chick starter feed yesterday. I've also chopped up some mixed organic lettuce and spinach and put it in there, but they haven't really shown much interest in that. Three of the chicks are doing very well, but this morning the little Chochin is wobbly and lethargic, doesn't seem to want to eat or drink.. She'll even fall over on her side and not be able to get up. BTW, she's the smallest of the chicks.

After reading the FAQ's, I did realize that they may not be as warm as they should be, so I'll do something about that right away.

I've done a search on the forums for wobbly chicks, but didnt find anything that really tells me what I need to know. Can anyone tell me what this is and what I need to do to turn this around? Can I feed her something with a dropper? Any homeopathic remedies someone would recommend? Her eyes are almost closed now, and I'm holding her to keep her warm, but I'm afraid it may be too late.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    From what I have read both on here and other places is that once they show signs of being ill it is usually too late.
    Try some sugar in her water to see if she will perk up. The thing tho is if it is too late you would hate to make her keep hanging on as it would just be prolonging her struggle.
    Good luck with her.

3. rosawoodsii

Apr 13, 2009
    I mixed up a bit of blackstrap in water, added a few grains of cayenne, a pellet of Carbo Vegetalis (homeopathic) and dropped in into her mouth with an eyedropper, alternating with water. Then I moved her to a separate box. Within a half hour, her eyes were open, and she started moving around a bit. I've given her drops of this a couple more time, and just added some electrolytes to the drinking water, and gave her some Noni juice, which a friend down the road swears by for sick chickens. She's never lost a chick, so it was worth a try. She's moving around more now, peeping here and there, and is generally looking a lot better than this morning.

I'm hopeful, but open to any suggestions.

4. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you, you are doing it.
    I would think that maybe having layer feed for the first couple of days might have done it. I have heard that the calcium in layer is not good for babies...why I don't know. I wish I knew more. I would if you want boil and egg and chop that up finely, I think with shell on is OK, and give it to the little one. It will provide some serious energy and maybe that is all this little one needs.
    Some plain yoghurt is also a favorite of mine. But if you give them these types of food, I believe a little grit might be in order. I couldn't find baby sized grit so I went to the petstore and bought domesticated birdcage bird "grit and gravel", and it works great.

Good Luck,

Kycklingmamma

5. rosawoodsii

Apr 13, 2009
    I have plenty of eggs, so I'll give that a try. And I have kefir, so I'll try that, too. I'm sure I can get some songbird grit. Do I just sprinkle it and hope she picks it up>

Thank you for the suggestions.

6. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I just sprinkled it on top of the food and when they it they will pick some up. They really don't need that much, just a little will help there system break the food down in their croop.
    I am glad that she is doing better, I will keep you both in my thoughts today.

Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by