Wobbly chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gonehencrazy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. gonehencrazy

gonehencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    I noticed one of my Gold Star pullets (Rosie) was slow to eat the meal worms I threw out on Tuesday morning. She was stumbling to the right with her wing out. I got her separated from the others. She is still showing neurological signs and doesn't seem to be eating what I would consider normal. She is 11months old and has been laying since April.

The strange thing is that we had a Buff Orpington show same symptoms last year at this same time. We thought the other 4 had hurt her. We were newbies. We did put her down after a few days when she didn't get better.

Now I have found this site and I'm worried it's Mareks. Could it be botulism? The area where the chickens are was where the previous owners dumped all their trash. We have cleaned it up but everyday i pick up glass, metal, and plastic that comes up through the soil.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Botulism usually affects both sides starting with the feet, and climbing upward to the wings, and then neck. It kills within a short time. I would suspect a head injury or Mareks, but you should try adding vitamins to her water, just to make sure it is not vitamin related. If she dies, you can refrigerate her body, and then have it tested for Mareks and other problems by your state vet. What state do you live in? A couple of states do necropsies for free. I would observe her for some time to see if her symptoms change. Keep food and water within her reach. Mareks tends to affect birds a little younger than she is, but it still could be that, although I hope it is not Mareks.

3. gonehencrazy

gonehencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    I live in Pennsylvania. She is moving around in the small pen. She doesnt go up the ramp at night but does get down. I'll have to stop and get some vitamins. I thought about giving her some antibiotics too. Bad idea?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by