wobbly chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by James Draper, Dec 26, 2013.

1. James Draper

James Draper New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    I have about 30 rir chicks that's about 2 months old and last week there were all doing great now I've got about 6 that are walking real wobbly and have the wings out wide like there trying to help keep balance and have 3 that can't even walk anymore I have them in a cage by themselves but there still eating and drinking normal and there others are doing fine and will it spread to the other chicks or what someone PLEASE HELP

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    sounds like mareks disease

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Really, probably too young for Marek's -- usually first shows up at point of lay. Other things can cause what you are describing at that age.

It is probably some toxin -- wet feed? Something wrong with their starter feed?

(1) Get a different Starter feed -- discard what you are feeding them.

(2) Also, Clean their brooder and use some chorine bleach to kill anything. Keep their litter dry. Change their water a couple of times per day at least. Make sure their food is not getting wet -- change their litter frequently . . . keep us updated.

4. James Draper

James Draper New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    It was Coccidiosis put some sulmet in there water for 4 days now there back to there ole self 1 didn't make it but all others are doin great thanks for your help

5. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    glad they are better. i use medicated (amprolium) chick starter so don't ever have cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by