1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wobbly Duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pfost262, Oct 21, 2016.

1. pfost262

pfost262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    Hi, just recently, within the last week or two I've noticed my 2 year old peking drake to be a bit clumsy on his feet. He looks as if he is a bit off balance and falls down on occasion. Almost as if her can't stand on his feet. He seems to be a bit more quiet than normal and I was wondering if he may have gotten a bug of some sort. When I go to catch him he can run away but there are times he just seems off. What should I do to correct this problem?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Have you checked his feet for bumblefoot?

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    There are a few things that can cause wobbling, but I am not terribly familiar with ducks.

Since water is involved, there is a-whole-nother host of illnesses a duck can encounter. I know things like metal toxicity, neurological symptoms, botulism, and age can cause wobbling.

I hope someone more knowledgeable in water fowl comes along to help.

Maybe check out the duck forum, too!

MrsB

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    MrsBrooke makes a good point - it's tough to be sure.

He could have contracted an internal infection, could be parasites, metal toxicity, botulism, virus, nerve damage....

A good duck vet would be best.

If that's not an option, I think I would first get a fecal test done to check for problems that way, in the meantime I would give some charcoal slurry for a couple of nights (in case of botulism), and if no improvement, might consider giving antibiotics for ten days and see if there is improvement.

Charcoal slurry is made with food grade activated charcoal. I only use maybe a tablespoon per quart, but that may not be strong enough if it's a toxin. There is a sticky on the Duck Forum with a recipe for charcoal slurry.

If you feel it's probably a virus, then good nutrition including lots of fresh water, and some vitamins twice a week in the drinking water could help get him through the crisis.

And we would welcome you on the Duck Forum (I haven't checked in there yet tonight).

5. pfost262

pfost262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I will try the charcoal. What type of antibiotic and or vitamins should I give him? and where could I buy them?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @casportpony has posted a thread on antibiotics - if you cannot get to a vet, you'll need to find out what you can and get what you can. Feed stores sell them as do online stores.

Feed stores also sell vitamins, and I buy online from Jeffers (I do not get anything from them for recommending, and please feel free to use whatever source you prefer).

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @pfost262 , can you post a picture of his poop?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by