1. Chicken Chick2

Chicken Chick2 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Recently one of my girls was showing signs of weakness and some anti social behavior. She had poopy butt seemed extremely anti-social. When I fed she wouldn't come, although if I put food and water in front of her, she would eat and drink. I cleaned her butt and trimmed her feathers. She didn't show any other signs of illness, mites etc. She stayed sitting down undercover most of the time, but did manage to come into the coop at night, although she did not roost, prefering to hunker down in the straw in the corner. Eventually she began to improve and had the strength to get up into the nesting boxes where she stayed most of the day. (although she wasn't laying.) At some point I noticed she seemed to be favoring one leg, actually limping. After awhile she was putting more and more weight on the one leg and getting around easier. All of this to say, I left her alone, made sure she was eating and drinking and after a month she was fine.

Now I have another girl that is showing the same signs. Laying down a lot outside under cover. Today I noticed when she came out when I fed, she was wobbly and limping, and she seemed to have trouble keeping her balance. She ate some and when I looked again she was laying in the tall grass.

Have any of you had a similar experience? Again, she is showing no signs of illness, poop looks normal etc. If she was a person I would suspect she had a stroke! ;)

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Sue

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are your roosts high where they may be spraining legs jumping down? Look at their foot pads for any swelling or a dark spot that could be bumblefoot infection. How old are your 2 hens that have shown this behavior? Are they being bullied or picked on by a rooster or other hen? Were your hens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can cause a loss of balance, and lameness in one or both legs, plus other symptoms.

3. Chicken Chick2

Chicken Chick2 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    The first hen with issues is 4 years old. the second one is 3. Their roost is not really high and there are several levels that they can use to hop down.

Have looked at their legs, but not the bottoms of their feet. I am assuming bumblefoot infections don't just go away by themselves.

I have not had them vaccinated for Merek's.

My flock definitely has a pecking order, but my rooster is not aggressive and this particular hen is not bullied at all.

I will check the bottoms of her feet to rule that out for sure. Thanks.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Chicken Chick2

Chicken Chick2 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks. I looked up bumblefoot so I would know what I was looking for and I can eliminate as a possibility. Her feet and legs appear fine.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since the first one affected got better, it probably wasn't Mareks. Sprains are fairly common with chickens just being chickens, flying, jumping up and down off of fences, being mated if there is a rooster, and just interacting. Sprains can take weeks to heal, and you may want to cage her with food and water for a week or two to see if she is walking better with rest. I think vitamins with trace minerals in her food would also be a good idea.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by