wobbly hen

kateklaire

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Hi,
my 4 month rhode island red started wobbling yesterday afternoon. she is having trouble staying upright on her legs. It's as if she broke a leg but doesn't feel like that when i checked her out. I see no other visible symptoms. she looks healthy otherwise. she was up on the roost last night. i'm worried she might have a virus though and i don't know what to do. i do not see anything on the bottom of her feet.
can you help?
thanks
kate

I would suggest you research Marek's disease. That may unfortunately be the problem, but it could be something else. Are your birds vaccinated, how long have you had this bird, and where did it come from? A wobbly bird may be a weak bird from deficiency, anemia (lots of lice), toxin, ect- or a virus such as Marek's which can cause progressive paralysis in the legs.

Sometimes they wobble like that when they don't feel well. Keep an eye on her and if she looks any sicker you may want to separate her from the rest of your flock and observe her for signs of illness.

thanks for the information. I've been treating my sick bird since tuesday night with little to no improvement. she can sometimes stand and sometimes not - ends up falling. she is eating and i am giving her water by syringe. is this a progressive disease - e.g. the condition will continue to worsen? or is there a there a chance that the treatment will keep her in the status quo of partial paralysis? i'm asking because i don't want her to suffer if these symptoms will continue or get worse. thanks for your help.

kate

Hi Kate,
How is your chicken?
I don't think she will suffer from permanent partial paralysis. I hope she is feeling better...
You can give her 50% Pedialyte with the water to prevent dehydration. You can also try Polyvisol liquid baby vitamins (no iron) three drops on her beak each day for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom