Wobbly Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laxlesley, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Laxlesley

Laxlesley New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    My girls had an encounter with a bear about 3 weeks ago, and we put in the garage in a fairly large pen (4 of them) for about 2 weeks. One of the hens had a bunch of the feathers ripped out, and was fairly stunned, but no bleeding or anything else. They are now back in their large coop and hen house, but I noticed 2 days ago that one of the girls is having a really hard time walking and Im pretty sure its the one who got her feathers pulled. She rocks back and forth on her feet like she is super off balance. She still gets up and walks around, eats, and drinks. She looks like shes drunk and either runs really fast or just kinda stands like shes trying to get her balance and then lays down. She is about 2 months old. [​IMG] Any Ideas on what she has? Im new to having chickens so any ideas on what I can do with her and how I can help her would be very helpful!!!!
    Thanks!!
    New chicken owner, Lesley

2. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

It's quite possible that she has a sort of inner ear infection. We've prescribed Clavamox and/or amoxi to help with this. However,it's possible to have a chemical imbalance causing this. Again all together could be disease related. Have you examined her eyes? Are they dilated? do they set still or do they move? If so,is it a flitter or back and forth.Any discolorations in the eyes? Is this a new feed? or new bag of feedd? Notice any smell,discoloration,or other problem with the feeds? How's her poop look?

3. Laxlesley

Laxlesley New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    Thank you soooooo much for your reply!

Have you examined her eyes? Are they dilated? do they set still or do they move? If so,is it a flitter or back and forth.Any discolorations in the eyes?
    - Her eyes do look dilated, but They arent flittering at all, and dont look discolored.

Is this a new feed? or new bag of feedd? Notice any smell,discoloration,or other problem with the feeds?
    - The feed is newer in the past week, but all my other girls are doing well on it. No strange smell from it, and I bought a more expensive brand from our local pet shop as opposed to the feed store. Not sure if this is good or bad.

How's her poop look?
    - Today he poop looks a bit watery as opposed to how it normally is.

I brought he back in the garage by herself and gave her some cucumber and yogurt mixed with the old feed. Any other suggestions as to what I can do??

4. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    What breed of chicken is she? I know that some breeds are very jittery, and an encounter with a bear [​IMG] most likely started her little heart beating fast. She could be in shock. Keep her warm and give her some electrolytes or sugar water. Also, I've heard that administering lots of love helps and can work wonders. Best of luck.

5. Laxlesley

Laxlesley New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    She is a beautiful black Australorp. I know she was very startled initially, but she seemed fine a few days after that, so Im not really sure if it was related. I just hope shes ok!! Any other good foods to feed her?

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    extra protein never hurts, maybe try some scrambled eggs, you can mix them with buttermilk - helps the digestive system.

7. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

If it was 3 weeks ago,it's not going to be shock. It could still be related,though. A traumatic blow could have caused a slow infection,which could have caused the problem. It could be a reaction to the feed,but usually it shows up quickly. Electrolytes and liquid vitamins are a good start. You can try some Amoxi or Ampicillin if you have on hand. If not try Penicillin. Try contacting an avian vet OR if you cant find one,try calling a wildlife rehab or similar.Even though it's different species,it's still most of the same issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by