1. misscalculated

misscalculated Out Of The Brooder

I have a silky cross, in lay, who has the attention of two males. The reason I say this is because I let them all out this morning and she was fine. I check on them quite often and checked on her half an hour ago and she was stood with her wings drooped and tipped forward onto her front. I noticed something was wrong when I came with some treats and she didn't run up to me. I'm not sure what's happened but what does everyone else think. She seems alert enough but her beak is slightly parted. I've brought her in the house now to give he more attention.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hard to guess the problem, but if the roosters are far larger than her and gang breed the hens, they may have injured her.

3. misscalculated

Yes I thought that too. First thoughts were spinal injury.

4. marthacolleen

marthacolleen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Stony Point NC
    It's almost certainly Mareck's, which is a viral disease, HIGHLY contagious, and carried in their "dander" - so any feathers they shed, etc... will carry the virus for months. There is a vaccination that can be given for it, it's a sub-cut injection that needs to be given at one day of age. I'm sorry you had this also, it's horrific to watch them succumb to it. There is no "cure" and they will all die different "deaths". For their sake, just hope it's quick. Breaks your heart. They are so confused as to why their little legs no longer work, they fall over... it's horrible.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I seriously doubt it's marek's disease. I agree with Sourland, she's been injured by the 2 roos ganging up on her. Keep her seperated and warm, feed her a liquidy mixture of buttermilk and scrambled egg for a few days. All you can do is provide supportive care until she heals, IF she heals. After about 10 days and if there's no improvement, it may become a quality of life issue with her and you might have to cull her.

6. misscalculated

Ok heres today's developments. Later that day I had to go out and left her in my eldest sons capable hands. He fed and watered her and by the time I got back she was on her feet again walking round the kitchen. This morning she is sat on an egg and won't budge lol.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Certainly good news.

1 person likes this.
  8. misscalculated

My son candled the egg last night and it appears to be fertile. So, looks like I'm stuck with a broody hen in my kitchen for the foreseeable lol.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by