Wobbly Magoo

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SouthernPride, Aug 11, 2011.

1. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Mr. Magoo, our partially blind Chinese, has suddenly become very unsteady on his feet. It started yesterday and I thought he just had an injured foot or leg. He would stay on the water and not come on shore. Because of this we had to leave all 3 of our geese out on the pond to fend for themselves. All was ok with them this morning, I saw him standing but he would not walk. His feathers looked a mess but I figured it was because he was on the water all night.

This evening I went down to the pond to check on them. He was standing and walking but very cautiously, any sudden movement and he would fall over. He wavers like he is dizzy. To make matters worse, it seems his ability to find his way around has deminished. He bumps into things where as before he could see an object in front of him just not very well. He neck is a little crooked and is not smooth and sleek, it kinda bulges towards the bottom. I do not know if he is eating and drinking. I was able to pick him up without any protest, put him in the coop and tried to get him to eat and drink but had no luck. He is 4 months old. Anyone have any ideas? I hope this is not something contagious since I have all 3 locked up tonight.

2. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    This morning he is the same. I carried him down to the pond, I think he actually enjoyed it. He is swimming around. Anybody have any ideas? I don't think it's an issue with his crop because it is not hard. I contacted Metzer Farm and they don't have a clue.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Thank you, that may be the problem. Our pond level has gone down quite a bit, it may that he has been infected by the bacteria growing in the pond. Not sure I can do much about that though. We do not have a pen for them, just a coop for nightime. Hmmmm.

5. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    UPDATE: Magoo is doing better but is still quite unsure on his feet. He does not seem so disoriented and can walk for longer distances. It's most likely a toxicity issue and it's running it's course thru his system. Here's another question, the bump on his nose looks like it has shrunk a little. It's not full like it was and is a little wrinkly. Has anyone had their Chinese Gander loose his bump?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks for the update.. glad to hear his doing better.as for the knob I wonder if it could have anything to do with what ever he ingested?

7. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Well, I was thinking that if he had lost weight or gotten dehydrated that might be what might happen. I know the first couple of days he was not eating and drinking. He is very eager to go into the coop at night (wish I could say the same for the other two) probably because he knows he is so vulnerable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by