1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wobbly Pekin - advice please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amarillo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Amarillo

Amarillo New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Hi there,
    I'm new new although I have been 'lurking' for about 2 years and am always amazed by the amount of knowledge on here!
    Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help:
    I have 2 Pekins that I bought as ducklings about 2yrs ago. This morning when I let them out the female can hardly walk. She's very wobbly on her feet and keeps falling over - occasionally getting stuck on her back.
    I tried putting her in a nice straw bed close to food and water but she's rather insistent on leaving the dry and rolling around in the muddy part of the garden :rolleyes:
    She is eating a little (when I can get food near her without her trying to run away,) and drinking a little too.
    These are the first ducks I've owned so have been learning as I go but really don't know what this might be!
    I've felt all around her and can't feel any warmth and don't think she's egg bound (I'm assuming ducks can get egg bound like chickens).
    She has a small scab on her back underneath her wing which I think is from the male - could he have damaged her nerves or something? They're both quite large but he is definitely bigger..
    Anyway, I've waffled enough - really hoping someone has some ideas?!
    Many thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here are a few thoughts:

Could she have gotten into something toxic? Botulism, metals, solvents, ?

If so, the stickies have a recipe for a toxin flush.

I think following a flush - or if you decide against a flush, do this in any case - food grade activated charcoal - here is the recipe from that sticky
    Activated Charcoal Slurry
    1 tsp. Activated Charcoal Powder
    8 oz. – Pure Water
    Dose 6 – 8 times daily

If you think it's the drake, separate them, if only with some temporary fence down the middle of their shelter

I like to get a duck into a lukewarm bath to observe motion, sniff for odors, get a really good look at what's going on, also to relieve stress on the legs and cheer them up (mine really like floating in water).

I cannot be online all day, but will check back when and as I can.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. Amarillo

Amarillo New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Thank you for your reply - will try the charcoal thing..

She's had a couple of assisted swims today and I have just gone out and she's got herself into the "pond" ( plastic sandpit filled daily with fresh water) - now need to keep an eye on her to make sure she can get out again!

I'm as sure as I can be that she hasn't got at anything toxic - it a garden purely for the 2 ducks and the chickens so only grass, fencing and their houses..

The drake is now incredibly gentle with her - he usually harasses her once or twice a day but is now just following her around in a very concerned fashion! I tried to separate them this morning but they both got incredibly worked up so figured I was doing more harm than good?

She has still laid an egg up until last night (she lays overnight), how quickly would being egg bound affect her? I just read somewhere about them trying to stand up like a penguin when egg bound to relieve pressure on the respiratory system.
    She is doing this, and this is when she falls over backwards - sometimes getting stuck, but I still can't feel anything although I don't want to press too hard obviously!

Thanks again!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Eggbinding, from what I have read, can look different with different ducks, and we cannot always feel anything in the belly. If you can get a vet's help, that is best. Otherwise, increasing her calcium intake - I use 23% Calcium Gluconate - is a longer term help, time in lukewarm water deep enough to float in is often recommended for helping relax and stimulate her muscles so she can pass the egg.

Sometimes the egg can be seen just inside the vent. You are right to be very careful - don't want to bust an egg inside her.

So I think I am saying she could be egg bound.

5. Amarillo

Amarillo New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Thank you.

Will get some calcium for her and give her a warm bath..

I spoke to a vet who has put up some anti-biotics for me in case it is botulism - will let you know how we get on.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thinking about you all.

7. Amarillo

Amarillo New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Just wanted to say thank you for all your advice :)

Mrs Duck is still on anti-biotics (never thought I'd see the day I gave a duck medicine!) I wouldn't say she's out of the woods but she is improving with each day. She can now get in the "pond" but not out and can also climb the small ramp to bed by herself :)

I'm hopeful that she will return to normal soon, and thanks again!

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wonderful, wonderful news. (c:

9. littleducky44

littleducky44 New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    How do you tell a boy duck from a girl duck?

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by