1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wobbly silkie roo, one dead cochin roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crtrlovr, Apr 27, 2009.

1. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

My 5 mo. old bantam frizzle cochin roo was fine Friday. On Sat. when I let them out, he looked sleepy. I put him in an enclosure with the almost 4 wk. old youngsters he's been surrogate mother/fathering and he acted fine, scratching & clucking to the young ones, eating, drinking, picking at grass, etc. I went back to check on him about 1 1/2 hrs. later and he was standing with head drooped as if he were preening his belly feathers, but not moving. I could tell something just wasn't right, so I brought him in & put him on a heated pet bed with yogurt and scrambled eggs. I gave him some PolyViSol vitamins dribbled along one side of the beak. He halfheartedly took them, but didn't eat more than a nibble or two of the yogurt. I set back down on the warmer, and he settled down as if to sleep. An hour later I could tell he was on the verge of death. I wrapped him in a warm towel & held him while he died. [​IMG] I saw no mites, but he was underweight. He HAD been vaccinated for Marek's at the hatchery he came from. I also have a silkie splash roo that is very wobbly (he was having difficulty just standing up in the wind). I've brought him in the house now, too. His appetite seems ok; his droppings seem normal in consistency but have quite a bit of white urates in them. He's drinking ok. I gave him some yogurt & cottage cheese, and he's eating crumbles as well. I'm going to give him PVS as soon as I finish this post. Any thoughts or suggestions? He is approx. one year old and has been fine up to this point. I appreciate your time and input. Thanks in advance.

2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Have you ever wormed them??

3. crtrlovr

yes, I wormed them all back in March using the Eprinex.

4. crtrlovr

update: silkie fella Mr. Magoo has a good appetite and seems to be less stressed than when he was outside in the run with everyone else, (maybe because the dominant little cochin roo isn't trying to kick his butt at every opportunity [​IMG] ) I plan to leave him in the house for a couple of days to give him a chance to get stronger. Any other ideas or suggestions other than what I've already mentioned/done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by