Wobbly walker after months of brooding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cereal, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Cereal

Cereal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Yes that’s right, she was brooding for months. So naturally I thought she was just weak after being nest bound for so long. Put her in rabbit cage to fix brooding. Now she is trying to be with the flock but she uses her wings to balance herself. I think one leg is not right from sitting for so long. She does not eat well but better than before. I make sure to give her worms, strawberries, extra scratch. When I pick her up to feed only her (cause the other ladies no share too good) she flaps about more than any other hen maybe like she is hurt so when I put her down it is like I stressed her out and she falls on her face and backside. I dont pick her up any longer but single her out to make sure she eats the good stuff. QUESTION: Do I keep her caged and feed her separately or let her be with flock to get exercise? Egg Bound? Broken leg? Hip problem? She is only a year or so old.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may need some nourishment and vitamins/minerals to regain her health. I would leave her out with the others to free range. I would watch her though, because she could be showing some signs of Mareks disease, but being broody for months may be taking it's toll on her. I would put vitamins and electrolytes in her water every other day, and keep a close eye on her.

3. Cereal

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks. I will keep an eye on her.

4. Cereal

Jul 27, 2014
    She is not better, like at all. She is not mobile and I do not want the other chickens picking on her but yet her being in the rabbit cage will back fire cause there she is, sitting again and for longer, She needs exercise.

5. Cereal

Jul 27, 2014
    I have several videos but not sure how to share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by