1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Greenslider

Greenslider New Egg

Nov 11, 2011
    Hi, last monday I came home to find one of my girls lying flat on the floor of her coop, with her legs splayed out behind her and eyes closed. Her back was heaving and she seemed almost dead. I suspect she has not layed an egg yet and she is also quite a fat Sussex pure breed. She had been very lively when I went to work, so, on her discovery, thoughts went through my head of Mareks, egg binding or broken legs. Anyway she had been living in a crate in the house (initially lying on her side and finally sitting upright before deciding exploration was in order) for the last few days and has had warm baths, infra red light and UVB light from a mercury vapour bulb and been taken off the layers mash onto a high calcium diet. The results have been encouraging. I reintroduced her to the rest of the chickens yesterday. She is up on her knees and can get on her feet for brief periods to feed and drink , but after a minute or two she finds a place whee she can watch proceedings without getting involved(Usually blocking the door of the coop on the rest of the girls). Yesterday she managed to roost as normal. However, every now and then she might shake her head and seem to yawn..does this several times especially if there is high pitched sounds around her.
    Someone said to me that pure bred stains are are full of bad traits and have problems with egg laying, weight and are subject to fits etc. Is there any truth in this? I feel she might have fallen from her perch as only one leg seems to be sore now. If anyone has any sugestions I would be grateful

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    sounds like you are doing well in taking care of her. As for her shaking her bhead at high pitched noise thats normal. Seems like loud or high pitched noises bother them.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wow, glad she's recovering. I would check around the chicken area for any moldy or bad or poison stuff, it's possible she may have had a touch of botulism. Hope she stays well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by