1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wobby Legs:

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicki6, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nicki6

Nicki6 New Egg

Nov 18, 2010
    Hi I wonder if I could please pick your brains. One of my chicks, Batman (about 4 months old) has become wobbly on his legs. He's eating, drinking and seems fine in himself but he can't stand properly. Whilst it is possible that he's had a rumble with the Rooster of the pack, Georgeous George, does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you. Nicki

2. Nicki6

Nicki6 New Egg

Nov 18, 2010
    Sorry, this is my first time using this site and it seems that more information would be useful. You don't always think straight when you're panicking and sad. Batman has been eating and drinking well and seemed perfectly normal this morning I didn't notice any change in his habits or personality. However did think that he looked a litttle stiff when he was walking. Just after lunch time today I went to check on them and he was struggling to stand on both of his legs. When I supported him he was happy to bear weight on both legs but his legs and balance are very wobby, so much so that he perfers to sit down. He is still eating and drinking and seems quite perky so any help and advice you could give would only be until the vet gets here which I hope will be very soon. He is in a secure, safe, clean crate with straw to keep him warm, Lola (his girlfriend) for company and a supply of fresh water and a dish of clean chick crumbs. I'm hoping that time to heal and quite will help until the vet arrives. Can anyone help of offer suggestions please? All gratefully welcome. Thank you. Nicki.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Nicki6

Nicki6 New Egg

Nov 18, 2010
    Thank you so much for coming back to me. I have read all about Marek's now and its not looking good. I've just chased the vet again but he's on an emergency call out. He seems to be displaying all of the symptoms. Is there anything else that I can do in the meantime, other than disinfect everything that isn't nailed down? Is there a chance because one has it they all could have it? or will vaccinations ensure they're continued health? Assuming of course that it is Marek's and praying that its not? When I went into check him a few moments ago, he had one leg forward and one leg back and seemed unaware that this isn't a normal position. As I understand it, this is a classic sign? If you have any more help or advice, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Nicki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by